Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Favorite Project

My oh my! I feel like I've been in a swirling vortex of babies, housework, and sewing! I have SOO much to blog about, but find myself using the few moments my hands are empty to sew. From Burp cloths, baby toys and lovie blankets, to diaper bag and skirts, I have been busy! I've decided (thanks sister!) to not get overwhelmed with the plethora of projects to share and just show one at a time... starting with my favorite.


Now that I see this photo I am kicking myself for not taking a 'before' photo, so imagine a drab, twice-used black and white toille car seat, turned into this!


I found this amazing Amy Butler fabric at my new favorite fabric store and snatched it up, not knowing what to do with it. Then after reading how Dana at MADE (seriously, if you haven't seen her blog yet, you must must!!) takes old car-seats apart and makes them cute, I thought, hey, I can use my new fabric to do that!

Ok, really I thought, "I want to do that, and I'm scared to death of ripping apart my car seat to make it happen!" On a boring Monday afternoon I decided to bite the bullet and go for it, not knowing if it would look halfway decent when I finished. I figured I might as well do it when I am stuck at home with the babies anyway.

After one day to pull apart the old seat and three more days to cut out and sew the new cover, I ended up with a fun new seat!! I have to say, I love how it turned out. It makes me happy every time I see it.

I used bias tape for the strap holes and made little strap covers too.


I found a co-ordinating satin for the contrast fabric. I was unsure how to make the shade cover, but once I took the old one apart it was pretty easy.

Amelia looks adorable in her new seat. It brings out her already pink skin tones.

Coming soon: a new diaper bag, baby shoes, and a new business venture!

2 comments:

  1. I've said it before, but this car seat cover is AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL!!!! YOu did a fantastic job! wowowowowow!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a confection of loveliness. Never seen a more beautiful car seat. I'm so impressed. Amy Butler is one of my favorites. Miss you sweetie!

    ReplyDelete